Successful influencing and politcal savvy strategies for HIA - masterclass
Presented by: James Paterson
Beyond technical skills, managing stakeholders and dealing with office politics is an essential part of what it takes to be effective as a head of internal audit. We will examine key dilemmas facing heads of internal audit, who are often pulled in different directions by different stakeholders. We will also look at different styles of influencing and how to influence without authority by managing through the hamburger model of task/process and climate. We will also reframe common misunderstandings about politics and how to manage through different agendas; sharing “war stories” to develop more refined skills and strategies.
Who should attend?
Heads of internal audit and senior audit managers who want to take stock what they are currently doing and how to proactively promote the value of internal audit and head off potential pitfalls.
What will I learn?
Upon completion you will be able to:
- assess key stakeholders now and going forward and what they may be looking for
- take stock around your own leadership and influencing style
- understand the psychological factors that lead to irrational and unhelpful behaviour and how to manage them
- understand the political dimension of audit work, recognising constraints, agendas and knowing how to leverage alliances to deliver appropriate change in the context of the organisations culture and key dynamics.
- the special relationship between internal audit, senior executives and the audit committee.
Models of influencing
- understand what stakeholders value using the Kano model
- gain insights around your own leadership and influencing style
- understand key biases and psychological pitfalls in one-to-one interactions (“Predictably irrational” factors).
- understand the way group dynamics operate.
- understand political thinking in a positive and ethical light
- understand key political skills to influence effectively at a senior level.
Putting it into practice
- use of Action Learning techniques to apply insights to current challenges and as a way of supporting ongoing challenges
- key actions to prioritise with key stakeholders.
CPE competency areas covered
Leadership and communication (Communication)
7 CPE points
Member: £625 + VAT
Non-member: £840 + VAT
SAVE 20% by undertaking this course virtually
Date:8 June 2022
|Non member||£672.00 ex. VAT|
|Member||£500.00 ex. VAT|