Chartered by Experience (CBE) assessment
Available to senior practitioners, the Chartered by Experience programme is aimed at those who are able to clearly demonstrate their professional competence via a written application and panel interview
To be eligible you must first join as an Affiliate member and in addition -
- Applicants should attend an Audit Committee or similar committee of the board of the organisation where they work. This should be a regular attendance, requiring the applicant to have a relationship with the Audit Committee and the senior management team of the organisation.
- Where the organisation is large, it is likely that there will be junior audit committees based on corporate structure, geographic region, or business divisions. Formal responsibility to attend one or more of these junior audit Committee meets the eligibility criteria.
- Applicants should manage the Internal Audit function - this can be in their own right as HIA, deputy to the HIA or similar for a minimum of 18 months.
- Applicants can demonstrate that they have significant responsibility for delivering the responsibilities of Chief Audit Executive as set out in global internal auditing standards.
- Candidates should have relevant senior experience and be able to demonstrate adherence to our key competencies which are –
- Proven Business Acumen
- Current Role
- Technical Expertise
More detailed information about the competencies can be found here
The application fee to become chartered by experience is £1,963 +VAT. Please read the requirements and ensure you meet the eligibility criteria as your application fee is non-refundable.
If you require an invoice, please contact us directly at email@example.com as we will need to register you manually. We can then issue you an invoice.
How to apply
Once you've registered as a candidate, please provide the following information as part of your application, using the following (Word) templates:
- Your candidate statement
- A sponsor statement
- Two referee statements from your current or most recent employer: one should be from your line manager, the second can be from another senior representative who has knowledge of your work
- Your CV
- Your employer's organisational chart
- Copies of relevant academic and professional qualifications used to support your application
Please provide all your information at the same time and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Once your application is submitted, you will then wait to see if you have been shortlisted for a panel interview. All interviews are currently being conducted online using video conferencing software, until further notice.
On the day of the assessment, applicants must have a current photographic ID with them. This can be a passport, driving license or a government issue ID, E.g., NHS/Civil Service and pass scheme cards. Applicants will be required to show their ID at the start of their assessment. If they do not have a valid ID, they will not be able to go through their assessment and they will have to postpone their assessment interview until they have a valid ID.
The assessment interview will be recorded for quality assurance purposes. However, the recording will be only kept for 60 days and then it will be destroyed. If you have any concerns about this, please contact us at email@example.com .
If you are already booked for assessment, here are the key dates that you will need:
Key dates for November 2023 assessment
|Result confirmed||By 27 November 2023|
Key dates for January 2024 assessment
|Register online for CBE by||7 December 2023|
|Written application deadline||18 December 2023|
|Interview shortlist announced||8 January 2024|
|Panel interviews via a video conference||22 and 23 January 2024|
|Result confirmed||6 February 2024|
Key dates for March 2024 assessment
|Register online for CBE by||5 February 2024|
|Written application deadline||19 February 2024|
|Interview shortlist announced||4 March 2024|
|Panel interviews via a video conference||18 and 19 March 2024|
|Result confirmed||2 April 2024|
For more information, please call 020 7498 0101 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
CBE success stories
“An enhanced sense of professional confidence and the reassurance that both myself and the team are on the right track. It has been acknowledged by the CEO and ARC, who commented that they see it also as a benefit for the company overall.”
Stephen Foster, Senior Vice President Audit & Assurance
Read Stephen’s experience of CBE here.
“I would recommend this to anyone that has come into audit from another senior business or senior finance area/role. To me the reasons for such a move are very clear - it's a really useful process to confirm to others you have the necessary skills and experience, and to confirm to yourself your knowledge of our profession.”
Mark Taylor, VP Operational Audit and Risk
Read Mark’s experience of CBE here.
“The CMIIA designation is a badge I will wear with pride and I would expect that any recruitment consultant would see it as a strong professional endorsement for a chief auditor role.”
Charles Clayton, Group Head of Internal Audit
Read Charles’s experience of CBE here.
See our FAQs for information for information on how to apply for CBE and what to include in your application form.
Please note: We may provide confirmation of your chartered status to your current or prospective employer if they ask.
Terms and conditions
If, for any reason, you fail to submit your written application by the published deadline, we may allow you to defer until the next available assessment session. Deferral may be subject to an administration fee.
Please read our full terms and conditions.
Ready to apply?
You can register for your CBE assessment below.
|22 January 2024||
Live Virtual Event - WebEx
|23 January 2024||
Live Virtual Event - WebEx